During the days of 23rd – 25th August 2013, Tanunda Lutheran School was more than usually alive with activity, excitement and conversation as the school community celebrated the 75th anniversary of the school reopening in 1938.
Originally established in 1845, the Langmeil School was obliged to close for a period of twenty one years during the World Wars. In 1937 the Langmeil and St John’s churches joined forces with a mission to reopen the school and this eventuated the following year. Mr Prenzler was the first Headmaster of Tanunda Lutheran Day School which began with an enrolment of 37 pupils.
Seven members of the 1938 students were able to attend the celebrations. Many other former pupils took the opportunity to meet once more to reminisce and enjoy stories of the past. Present Year 7 students were proud to show former teachers, principals, Council members and parents around the much changed school campus.
It was an honour to have two former teachers, both in their nineties, attend the Saturday celebrations. The original school bell was on loan from Ramco Church in the Riverland and was rung to announce the beginning of events.
The permanent History display panels were opened by Dr Geyer, a descendent of headmaster, Mr ACF Geyer. The collection of former uniforms, photographs, documents, school books and the contents of the time capsule buried 25 years ago all added an interesting dimension to the activities.
The Sunday Church Service was the opportunity to give thanks for the many blessings of the past.
Now TLS is planning its future history with energy and vision as the story continues.