The Kavel Room is named after Ferdinand Kavel. Ferdinand Kavel was the first teacher at Tanunda Lutheran School. He served the school from 1845 to 1848. Although reportedly frail, he also worked the land until his death from a stroke in 1850.
His parents were Albrecht Christian Kavel (tailor) and Charlotte Sabine. Ferdinand Kavel was one of five children: August Ludwig Christian, Johann Wilhelm Ferdiannd, Maria Charlotte Sabine, Johanne Friedrich Wilhelm and Daniel Samuel. The Kavel family were originally from Berlin but settled at Kelmzig, SA in 1938.
The Kavel Room has historical significance for the Lutheran Church of Australia. It was in this room in 1966 that is was resolved to form the Lutheran Schools Association. It was also in this room in August 1997, that the South Australian Lutheran Principal’s Association was formed.
Records show that the school was established in 1845, although there are indications that the school was built two years prior to this date. TLS is the oldest Lutheran school in Australia still in operation. This room was built in 1865 and dedicated on January 6th, 1866, despite financial difficulties, for a cost of 244 pounds. It was the school’s only building.
According to records, the most students to attend school in this building was in 1874 when 96 students were schooled in this room. Between July 1917 and March 1938, this building ceased to be used as a school because of a Government decree on Germans in Australia. During this period the room was used as a Saturday and Sunday School room.
The most recent refurbishment of this room took place in 1996 when it was converted to a Year 1 classroom, to its current function of a meeting, general purpose room.
We pray that God continues to bless all students who use this room. May His Word and Love continue to touch their hearts and be the cornerstone of their lives.